Resources to Know What You Want in Your CareerJul 05, 2023
I talk a lot about the benefits of doing what you love as your work. They include greater engagement, better productivity and performance, and greater satisfaction.
But what if you are not clear on what you love?
Here are some resources to help you reach that clarity.
- "Now, Discover Your Strengths" by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton: This classic book introduces the concept of strengths-based development and provides a tool for identifying your unique strengths. It argues that focusing on your strengths rather than your weaknesses is the key to success and fulfillment in your career and personal life. Knowing my strengths has been transformative for me. (BTW, mine are: Learner, Ideation, Connectedness, Input, and Strategy). Let me know what your strengths are!
- "The Passion Test" by Janet Bray Attwood and Chris Attwood: This book provides a step-by-step process for identifying your passions and aligning your life with them. It offers practical tools and exercises for discovering what you truly want in life and how to achieve it. Bonus: If you are an Audible subscriber, the audio version is free right now!
- "Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live" by Martha Beck: This book offers guidance for finding your true purpose in life and creating a fulfilling career and personal life. It provides practical tools and exercises for identifying your passions and overcoming obstacles that may be holding you back
- Career Aptitude Tests available at Truity.com. This website has a variety of free and paid resources. These are a great way to get insight into jobs and careers that offer the kinds of work that appeals to you. They are especially great for younger people who just getting started in their higher education or careers as way to direct energy and interests. They would also be helpful if you are looking for a major change in direction.
- My “Create Your Ideal Job Workbook”. This is an exercise that I’ve created to help you focus on what you like and don’t like about your current work experience. The beauty of this workbook is that you don’t necessarily have to leave your current situation to bring in the qualities that will give you greater engagement and satisfaction. And it’s free!
Free Create Your Ideal Job Workbook
You know what you don't want in your career, now figure what you'd love instead.
Get the Monday Love Letters and Blog Delivered Weekly!
Join my mailing list to receive the latest tips, tricks, and in-depth knowledge.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
I hate SPAM. I will never sell your information, for any reason.